CLINICAL NURSE SPECIALIST/ GERIATRIC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT (GEM) NURSE
CORPORATE TRANSITION MANAGEMENT
REGULAR FULL TIME
Current schedule is 8 & 12 hour shifts; Days/Evenings/Weekends Schedule (Subject to change)
Hourly Rate: $46.42 – $55.11 per hour
Lakeridge Health Oshawa (Coverage at all Lakeridge Health Sites Required)
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
GEM nurses provide an expert clinical resource in the fast paced hospital Emergency Department (ED). They specialize in geriatric care to assess, plan interventions, implement and evaluate care of the elderly persons with complex geriatric health problems in collaboration with patients, family, inter-professional teams, and with community partners. Their focus is to assist the elderly person to achieve optimal independent functioning, reduce Alternate Level of Care days, and ED visits. The GEM Nurse role includes hospital wide geriatric capacity building; and reporting for regional metrics.
* Registered Nurse in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario;
* Master’s degree in Nursing preferred;
* Member of the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario;
* Competent to perform CPR at a Basic Cardiac Life Support level;
* Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication;
* Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and teaching skills;
* Advanced knowledge of the nursing process, the consultation process, program planning, community linkage, and crisis management;
* Additional training and experience in Gerontological Nursing;
* Ability to function collaboratively within the inter-professional team;
* Proven analytical thinking and problem solving skills;
* Excellent knowledge of community supports for the patient population;
* Must have satisfactory performance record;
* Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service when dealing with patients, colleagues, volunteers and other members of the community and public;
* Demonstrated commitment to our core values of Inclusion, Compassion, Innovation, Teamwork and Joy;
* Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to Lakeridge Health’s comprehensive safety program and practices including staff, patient, and environmental safety and participation in regular in-service education in this area; and,
* Demonstrated pattern of good attendance and the capability of maintaining that same standard.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with Lakeridge Health’s policies and procedures.
Lakeridge Health thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the recruitment and assessment process as required under Lakeridge Health’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.